Incredible facts YOU should know about NAKILAT!
1) NAKILAT MEANS “CARRIERS”
- Nakilat ( ناقلات ) means ‘carriers’ or ‘transporters’.
- Established in 2004, Nakilat is a Qatari-listed shipping and maritime company providing the essential transportation link in the State of Qatar’s LNG supply chain, ensuring energy is delivered in a safe and efficient manner to worldwide destinations.
2) NAKILAT’S LNG FLEET IS THE LARGEST IN THE WORLD
- Nakilat’s LNG shipping fleet is the largest in the world, comprising of *69 LNG carriers today (*include 4 newbuilds)
- The company also jointly-owns one floating storage and regasification unit (FSRU) and four large LPG carriers, typically known as very large gas carriers (VLGC).
3) Q-MAX TYPE IS THE WORLD’S LARGEST LNG SHIP EVER BUILT!
- Qatar’s LNG shipping sector began with a total of 45 modern, sophisticated and technologically advanced LNG ships, 14 Q-Max and 31 Q-Flex constructed at three shipbuilding yards in South Korea.
- The length of a Q-Max ship is 345 meters, about as tall as the Eiffel Tower and longer than three football fields, making it the biggest LNG ship ever built!
- You can also watch a documentary made during sea trials of the largest LNG ship in the world!
4) Q-MAX CAN CARRY 80% MORE CAPACITY THAN CONVENTIONAL LNG SHIPS!
- Q-Max and Q-Flex type LNG carriers are the first of their kinds for gas carriers with a cargo-carrying capacity of over 200,000m3 which represents an industrial milestone for Qatar.
- A Q-Max LNG ship can carry up to 266,000 m3 of LNG, which is 80% more capacity compared to a conventional LNG ship.
- Similarly, a Q-Flex LNG ship can carry up to 216,000 m3 which is 50% more capacity than conventional LNG ships.
- Bigger ships mean fewer trips are required to deliver energy to destinations!
5) NAKILAT’S SHIPS CARRY OVER TWO-THIRDS OF QATAR’S LNG EXPORTS
- Exporting about 78 million tonnes of LNG in 2018, the State of Qatar remains the world’s largest LNG exporter.
- Nakilat being a shipping arm of Qatar’s LNG, delivered over two-thirds of Qatar’s LNG exports across the oceans.
- Nakilat’s LNG ships currently carry about 11.5% of the global LNG capacity.
6) OUR SOPHISTICATED MODERN SHIPS ARE HIGHLY EFFICIENT & ENVIRONMENTALLY SOUND
- The sheer magnitude of a Q-Max ship marks a monumental change in LNG shipping by substantially reducing transportation costs by 20% – 30%, improve energy efficiency and reducing emissions.
- Not only does the Q-Max ship carry up to 80 percent more cargo, but they also require approximately 40% less energy than conventional LNG carriers due to economies of scale and efficiency of the powerful engines.
- These modern ships were a new breed of LNG tankers, considered as an industry breakthrough in size as well as design with significant enhancements.
- All Nakilat vessels have received the ‘Green Award’ certification, and operate in accordance with international best practices as defined within the program.
- Check out these basic features of a Q-Max or Q-Flex LNG carrier!